Protecting innocent human life from conception to natural death…no exceptions!
572 W Market St #2 Akron, OH
+1 (330) 762-2785
There is a battle occurring in northeast Ohio right now. Brave soldiers are needed to step up to the front lines and bring Christ’s presence to those who are dangerously close to having an abortion, and to stand as witnesses to the community that while abortion may be legal, it is definitely not right! Up to now, you may have been involved with several other Right to Life activities, such as writing letters or attending dinners. However, while we appreciate your participation in these areas, we must also focus our efforts on praying at the abortion centers. You or your group can make a great difference right now. By spending just an hour a month being a witness by praying and
You are free to go and witness on your own at any time; however, by joining the Cloud of Witnesses and adopting one hour per month, we can help to assure that someone is at the facilities all the time. We have a powerful effect on the abortion centers, on Planned Parenthood and on our communities. We need your presence to continue the momentum!
The following are some frequently asked questions and answers about sidewalk counseling or witnesses, courtesy of the ProLife Action League:
Know Your Rights as a Sidewalk Counselor
Many pro-lifers are unaware of precisely what their rights are to sidewalk counsel outside abortion facilities. Here we answer some of the most common questions about those rights:
1. Is sidewalk counseling a constitutional right? YES. The First Amendment to the U. S. Constitution protects the “freedom of speech.” The Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled that peaceful communication—such as spoken words, display of signs and leafleting—are all protected forms of free speech, especially in public places like sidewalks and parks.
2. What if somebody tells me to “shut up” or to go away? The right to free speech in public places does not depend upon the consent of the listeners. The Supreme Court has consistently ruled that speech cannot be censored simply because the speaker’s message irritates or offends a listener. In fact, the Supreme court has even mentioned the phrase, “Abortion is Murder,” as an example of free speech. (Note: We don’t recommend using that phrase as you approach an abortion-bound woman. It is intended to illustrate the extent of our rights.)
3. Does the FACE bill outlaw sidewalk counseling? No. The 1994 Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances (FACE) Act does not prohibit sidewalk counseling. FACE makes it a federal offense when someone “by force or threat of force or by physical obstruction, intentionally injures, intimidates or interferes with” any person because that person is “obtaining or providing reproductive health services.” FACE specifically exempts “any expressive conduct (including peaceful picketing or other peaceful demonstration protected by the First Amendment.” A sidewalk counselor who uses neither force, nor threats of force, nor physical obstruction, does not violate FACE.
4. Is it “mean” to witness outside an abortion clinic? This question was asked of David Bereit, the director of 40 Days For Life by a person who felt that by witnessing outside a clinic, a woman that has already made up her mind and maybe in despair will become hurt even worse by seeing those standing witness. His answer:
“Our intent ….. is to bring the truth, love, forgiveness, and hope of Christ to the abortion clinic…which is so full of despair, anger
Click Here to download a Cloud of Witnesses Brochure
Click Here to download printable Vigil Guidelines and Locations Map
Right to Life of Northeast Ohio is a non profit organization and has a wide range of volunteer opportunities available. The following are some of the activities or volunteer positions that we always need help with:
Event Volunteers for:
- Media Campaign
- March For Life
- Raffle For Life
- Education and Appreciation Dinner
- Mother’s Day Flowers For Life
- Walk For Life
- 5K RUN for their LIVES
- Golf For Life
- Celebrate Life Dinner and Auction
- Youth Oratory Contest
- 40 Days For Life
- Life Chain
- Membership Programs
- and many more!
Office Volunteers for:
- Data entry
- General office help
- Help with coordination of large mailings
CLICK HERE to send an e-mail.
CLICK HERE to print a volunteer application.
If volunteering to work with youth, please read the RTLNEO Policy for the Protection of Children and Youth by clicking here.
Get Involved With These Programs
Support Our Sponsors
Please patronize our business
sponsors who have supported our mission:
Host a Speaker
Right to Life believes that there are better, more life-enhancing ways to solve personal, social and medical problems than those reflected in the above policies. We would appreciate the opportunity to present our point of view to your organization. Our trained speakers can present the moral, legal, medical and social aspects of abortion, euthanasia/assisted suicide and cloning/stem cell research. We speak in schools, colleges, churches and before social and civic groups. We also appear on radio and television. Our speakers are trained volunteers who do not charge a fee. Donations to Right to Life of Northeast Ohio will be gratefully accepted, however.
The items listed above are just a small sample of our inventory which also includes a large selection of books. Please feel free to stop by our office to view the library.
Want to stay informed? Sign up to receive our action alerts and e-mails!